There are several factors that can contribute to a shortened lifespan for your roof. However, there are also some steps you can take to help your roof live a long, damage free life.
One of the first things you should understand is the most common causes of roof failure. When you know what these are, you can take steps from preventing them from occurring in the first place.
- Subpar workmanship: If you don’t take the time to hire a quality roofing contractor, then the installation process may be inadequate. This can lead to serious issues and problems down the road.
- Poor design: It is important to understand that not all roof designs are the same. There are some designs that require special attention. For example, a low slope roof has to be constructed differently than a steep-slope system; however, not all contractors follow the guidelines properly.
- Weathering and faulty materials: From time to time, the materials used to install your roof initially may suffer from some type of manufacturing defect or it can react negatively to the elements. Severe winds and hail storms can cause serious damage to an otherwise perfect roof.
- Mechanical damage and trapped moisture: This issue can be caused by inadequate attic ventilation, rodent invasion and damaged shingles among other factors.
- Roof traffic: If you walk on the surface of your roof, it may cause damage and compromise the materials that have been used.
The Importance of Regular Roof Inspections
One of the best ways for you to determine if your roof is failing is by schedule regular roof inspection from local roofing professionals. They will inspect all parts of the roof to determine if there is any damage, if the roof components are old or if poor construction is a factor. They can also provide you with a report regarding what needs to be done to restore the health of a roof.
When you have your roof inspected annually and implement the recommended repairs, you can extend the life of your entire roofing system. It is also a good idea to document any maintenance and repairs that are done so that you have a written history.
Benefits Offered by Regular Roof Maintenance
If you actively maintain your roof, it will help to extend its overall efficiency, as well as its life expectancy. There are several major roof repair projects that cost a fraction of the amount if you treat the problem as soon as it is found. By staying up to date on what is going on with your roof, you can reduce and even eliminate the potential of serious issues.
If you want to keep your roofing system in good, protective condition for your home, work with a roofing professional. They can inspect its condition regularly to ensure there are no serious issues present.