Do you need roof repairs or replacement? If you’re a smart homeowner, you know the best thing to do in these situations is to hire the professionals. The restoration of your roof requires a skilled hand. Also, since this is such a significant investment, it is imperative you find the best person for the job. One of the first things you’ll realize when hiring a roofer is that there is a wide array of so-called professional roofing companies nearby. Do you know how to choose the right one? If not, you may be setting yourself up for serious issues – and costly repairs – in the future.
The good news is, you don’t have to guess whether or not you have found the right roofer for the job. The information here clearly highlights what you need to avoid when hiring a roofing professional.
Avoid Roofers that Aren’t Professionals in the Industry
When you are searching for a professional roofer for your home roof repairs or replacement make sure to avoid the following:
- DIYers or “Weekend Warriors”: While this type of roofer doesn’t usually mean to do harm, they often lack the proper skills to handle the job. As a result, you are putting your roof and home at risk if you hire them.
- Fly-by-Night Roofers: This type of roofer is actually known by several names, including door-to-door roofers, storm chasers, etc. You may see their flyers posted around the neighborhood. In other situations, they just knock on your door unannounced after a major storm has passed through. They will usually offer you huge discounts if you pay upfront, in cash. Don’t do this! Chances are you will never have any work done!
The process of having your roof repaired or replaced is a huge undertaking. To make sure you get the desired results, you need to ensure that your roof is taken care of by the real professionals.
Do Your Homework
If you want to find out if a roofer really is what they claim to be, you need to do your homework. Some things to consider when you are trying to hire a roofer include:
- The roofer’s reputation
- What their physical address is (not just a PO box)
- If the roofer has the proper insurance coverage
- The warranties each potential roofer offers
It’s smart to compare several companies before selecting one. This will help ensure you are finding the professional roofer or roofing company that offers the most value.
Really Read Your Contract
The roofing contract you sign needs to be comprehensive. You need it to include everything necessary for you to make an informed decision, including the following:
- Details about if any layers have to be removed, the underlayment that will be used, if new flashing is going to be installed, etc. If the contract only states that the roof will “be replaced” be sure to get more information.
- The schedule that your roofer plans to follow.
- Detailed information about the payments, which should include the deposit amount (if any) and how long you have to terminate the contract without facing a penalty.
When you know how to hire a roofer, you can feel confident that you have found the right person for the job.