DIY Tips to Help You Clear Mold Off of Your Roof

Over time, mold can accumulate on your roof’s shingles, especially if they are constantly shaded. They can result in discoloration to the roof and damage the shingles if this growth is not removed. Excessive mold growth may also expose your crawlspace or interior attic to mold spores, carrying the issue to the inside of your home.

However, even in cases when the situation may seem dire, you don’t need to worry too much. There are a few steps you can take to remove mold on your own. While you can call a professional roofing company for help, the tips here will help you save money and solve your mold issue.

Protect your Lawn and Plants

You will be using bleach to clean away your mold issue, so splash your plants and lawn with water if they are close to the house. You can also cover them with plastic sheeting or a tarp, if necessary.

Prepare then Apply the Bleach Solution You will Use

When you are making the bleach solution, be sure to wear rubber gloves, as well as a breathing mask to protect your skin and the lungs from the fumes that are emitted. In a two-gallon bucket, you should make a cleanser of ¼ chlorine bleach and ¾ water. After this is mixed, add a tablespoon of trisodium phosphate and stir it well. Fill up a handheld pump sprayer with the solution and apply it to only the moldy shingles.

Make sure Everything is Clean and then Rinse

You need to allow the solution to soak into the shingles for about 15 minutes. If the area is significantly molded, then consider letting the solution soak a bit longer. The next step is to rinse away the solution with a water hose and low pressure. Make sure to rinse from the top to the bottom.

After it is rinsed, run your gloved hand over the affected shingles to see if there is any slimy mold left behind. If so, repeat the process.

Take the Necessary Precautions

You should never use a pressure washer for washing or rinsing your home’s shingles. This is because the concentrated water jet is going to scrape the small pebbles off the shingles, reducing their ability to repel water. This is only going to make the mold situation worse in the long run.

Contact the Professionals

If you are worried about more issues that just mold, or can’t seem to get it all off the surface of the roof, then don’t hesitate to contact the professionals. They will be able to evaluate the issue and provide the help you need to restore the health of your roof.