Get Your Roof Ready for Winter
Fall has finally arrived. The leaves are changing colors and beginning to fall. That means it is time to get your roof ready for fall and winter. Winter can cause a lot of damage to your roof. Ice and snow add extra weight and the freeze-thaw cycle can create havoc, causing a myriad of problems, including ice dams, all of which can cause thousands of dollars of damage. You can help prevent damage to your roof by getting it in tip-top shape before winter arrives with some regular maintenance.
While some tasks are best left to the professionals, like Pyramid Roofing, there are many steps you can take yourself to make sure your roof is in the best possible condition possible. We strongly discourage homeowners from attempting to get up on their roof themselves. Instead, do what you can without getting up on your roof and hire a professional to tackle those things that require roof access.
- Clean your gutters. Clogged gutters prevent water from properly draining from your roof. This can cause leaks and also contribute to ice dams. Make sure your gutters, downspouts, and drains are all free of leaves and debris.
- Clean the surface of your roof. Clear off any leaves, twigs, pine needles, and other debris, which can scrape and damage the shingles. They can also trap moisture, which can allow mold to grow and add extra weight to your roof.
- Inspect your roof for damage. You can do this by using binoculars to look signs of damaged shingles, including curling or cracking shingles, and damaged flashing around chimneys, skylights, and vent stacks. Look for loose materials or missing shingles. In particular, check the valleys, where two rooflines meet. These areas are particularly susceptible to leaks. This type of inspection, as well as replacing damaged and missing shingles, is a good job for a pro.
- Check inside your home for signs of roof leaks by looking for water damage on ceilings and walls.
- Trim your trees. Trees grow at a steady rate all year. Branches that don’t seem to be a threat now could grow and cause issues before spring. Remove any branches near the roof that could fall and damage your roof or contribute additional debris and leaves.
If you find any problem areas, address them now while the weather is still mild. Repairs become much more difficult once winter weather sets in.
If you don’t feel that you can make an adequate assessment of your roof condition yourself, hire a professional do a thorough inspection and make any needed repairs. In addition to checking all of the previously mentioned areas, Pyramid Roofing will also inspect your roof surface for punctures, damaged shingles, and other deficiencies, as well as look for any areas where water could potentially enter your home. We will inspect all flashing and seams, and check and touch up caulking and sealants. Upon completion of the inspection, we will provide you with a report, complete with photos, and a list of recommended repairs.
Don’t spend your winter battling roof problems. Take time now to ensure your roof is ready for winter.