Tips to Select Your Home’s Roof
Selecting a roof for your home is not a decision you should make without proper thought and consideration. There are a number of options to consider, including plastic polymers, sheet metal, asphalt and more. Each option has its advantages and disadvantages and understanding these can help you make an educated decision regarding your particular needs.
What to Consider when Looking for a Roof
There are quite a few factors to consider when searching for the proper type of roofing for your home. This includes:
- Building codes
Pros and Cons
There are number of roofing options that may be better for your home than other options. Factors such as the strength and slope should all be taken into consideration. Some of the most popular roofing options and important details are highlighted here.
Extremely popular for homes and compose a large portion of the residential roofing market. Details of this roofing material include:
- Created from organic paper fibre or fiberglass and then covered with asphalt and mineral granules.
- Not the most eco-friendly material available due to the petroleum base.
- Moderate weight.
- Good resistance to fire and wind.
- Considered an inexpensive roofing option.
More expensive than the asphalt shingles, metal roofing also lasts longer and provides a higher level of wind resistance. Other details include:
- Created from zinc alloy, copper, aluminium or steel.
- Can be purchased in shingles or sheets.
- Can be created from recycled materials and then recycled at the end of its lifespan making it an eco-friendly roofing option.
- Extremely durable option.
- Able to resist wind and fire.
- Affordable options (steel) to more expensive options (copper).
Plastic polymer shingles are composed of a synthetic material and can be made to resemble either slate or wood shakes. Other details of this roofing option include:
- Each shingle is moulded from a high-tech type of plastic polymer material.
- Created to look like wood shakes or slate.
- A low maintenance and long lasting option.
- Can be created from recycled materials and recycled at the end of their life making them an eco-friendly option.
- Considered moderate in cost.
When looking for the right type of roofing option, knowing what is available will help you make the right decision. If you are unsure or need help choosing, talk with the professionals who can take into consideration your home and location to help you choose the right option. The roof is what protects you and your family from the elements. Without the proper material, you may discover leaks and other issues are common.