7 Questions You Should Ask Roofing Contractors
When the time comes to repair or replace your roof, it is important that you choose a trustworthy and experienced roofing contractor. Accidentally hiring a contractor who is unreliable or does poor work is bound to cost you more money in the future. Choosing the right roofing contractor can be an overwhelming process, but knowing the right questions to ask helps to make the process as simple and worry-free as possible.
1. Are you licensed to perform roofing work in our area? Many states require roofing contractors to obtain a license if they want to work in that state. The requirements for obtaining a license varying from state to state, so be sure to research the code requirements in your state before selecting a contractor.
2. Can you provide proof of insurance? Did you know that if there is an accident or costly mistake made on your property, the financial consequences could fall back on you? Because of this, it is essential that you hire a fully insured contractor. You will want to ensure your contractor carries both workers’ comp insurance and general liability insurance since both play very different roles. Workers’ comp insurance protects you from the costs of medical bills or lost work hours if an employee is injured while working on your property, according Angie’s List. Additionally, if there is damage to your home or roof as a result of the work of your contractor, you want them to have general liability insurance to cover the costs of repairs.
3. How do you plan to protect my home and landscaping during the project? Experienced roofing contractors understand that protecting a client’s home and landscaping during a project plays a huge role in your overall satisfaction with their work. Before hiring a contractor, make sure they have routines in place for leaving your home and lawn in the same condition as when they began.
4. Can your provide customer references? A contractor’s work history is the best picture of how they will perform in the future. Before hiring a contractor, ask for three or four references from customers they have worked with in the past. Keep in mind, some contractors may provide you with only positive references to skew your perception of their work. Because of this, we suggest you do outside research by reading company reviews online and asking friends, family, or coworkers if they have any experience with a particular company.
5. Is there a warranty on my new roof? For a new roof, there should be two separate warranties. The roofing contractor should provide a warranty covering their work and the supplier should provide a warranty covering the materials. Professional roofing contractors typically provide a 25 year warranty on a new roof, but it never hurts to double check before signing a contract.
6. Do you guarantee your work? While a warranty guarantees the life of your completed roof, it doesn’t protect your roof if something goes wrong while the work is being done. A reliable contractor will offer a guarantee which promises to complete the agreed upon work, even if something goes wrong with materials, weather, or their employees.
7. Do you provide a written contract, including an estimate? Don’t rely on a verbal agreement to ensure you and your contractor are on the same page concerning the scope and cost of the work being done on your roof. A written contract which clearly outlines what work will be performed and the expected cost will protect you from miscommunications or surprises on your final bill.
Here at Pyramid Roofing Company we understand selecting a contractor is an involved and sometimes overwhelming process. For answers to these questions, and more call 888.917.ROOF or click here to contact one of our experienced roofing technicians.